I'm currently facing a tricky situation. I am looking for some objective opinions and/or advice, here is the situation:
Approximately a year ago, I started working on a music video in collaboration with a band composed of 2 brothers who are friends of mine. (They had also made the music on my previous film) I'm using the word "collaboration" because there isn't any money involved. It is something I had always been wanting to do with them and it was the right timing, as they wanted to release their first musical project.
They had a couple ideas for the film but I was pretty much free of making whatever I wanted.
Since then, I developed the whole project by myself, checking in with them every once in a while juste to make sure they don't hate it. But it was basically just me, making a film, independently.
As the film production is now coming to an end, I sent them an e-mail essentially saying that I wanted to publish it on my Vimeo account, at least 2 weeks before they can share it on their Youtube account. So, a 2-week exclusivity of this film as some kind of return on investment, after the huge amount of work I've put in. Also a way of stating the fact that I primarily own the piece.
Although, in the meantime, they got involved with a music label, taking in charge all of the different aspects of the release. For instance, the label signed a contract with a major digital music distributor which (from what I understood) probably won't allow me to publish the film before they do.
All of this happening without my knowledge.
What I really struggle with now is to figure out whether I'm right or wrong. Because it's not like if they wanted to stop me from publishing this on my own Vimeo account, or take my credit out of the video.. It's where it gets tricky for me because they are friends and I know their intentions are good. This is probably something we should have cleared up from the start. BUT the matter is I did not sign any contract, and was not kept informed of their involvement with a music label or whatsoever.
So the question is, am I right to hold my position (2-week exclusivity) as the owner of this film and not agree to their terms (no exclusivity)?
Or am I just being crazy and all of this just doesn't matter anyway?
I hope I was clear enough and would really appreciate any help/comments regarding this issue.